Fedora 7 Test 1 + AMD fglrx Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 7 Test 1 + AMD fglrx Drivers

I have Fedora 7 Test 1 working with the AMD fglrx 8.33.6 display driver.

Installation:

- Download this: http://www.michaellarabel.com/downlo...7-02-02.tar.gz (this is still a package under development, though should work).

- Download the 8.33.6 driver from AMD.

- Pass the --extract argument to the ATI installer so it creates the fglrx-install folder

- Replace the item downloaded from michaellarabel.com with the Fedora folder found in fglrx-install/Fedora/

- Change your working directory to fglrx-install.

- Run ./ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/F7

- If you get a message about entering a patch location, just type firegl_public.c

NOTES:

- Fedora Core is no more... it's technically Fedora 7 and as a result it is --buildpkg Fedora/F7 and not Fedora/FC7.

- Still need to disable Composite in your xorg.conf as it is not supported by the fglrx drivers.

- The Fedora Desktop Effects are not currently supported by the fglrx drivers.

- The updated (F7T1 supportive) packaging scripts may appear with fglrx 8.34 display driver later this month. BUT there are currently 2.6.20 conflicts with 8.34 due to its firegl_public code using the old INIT_WORK and not the two-argument version. (Hopefully I'll have the time to code a patch shortly or that someone else writes a patch)

- I haven't yet tried it out with 64-bit F7T1 but will do so soon.

- With the Fedora Desktop spin it doesn't include any development tools or libraries... the easiest way to fix this is use yum or go to Applications > Add / Remove Software > and then select Development Tools and Development Libraries, etc...

- qt-devel 3.3.7 is needed to build fireglcontrolpanel.

Those are the basic notes at this time. As the final Fedora 7 release nears more information will come about and a more proper guide.

If you have any questions just post. Any testing of the packaging scripts are appreciated.

Some of you interested in Fedora 7 testing, if you're seriously interested in the testing, please private message me about possibly joining the AMD Beta program.
    Last edited by Michael; 02 February 2007, 11:42 PM.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Installation:

- Download this: http://www.michaellarabel.com/downlo...7-02-02.tar.gz (this is still a package under development, though should work).

- Download the 8.33.6 driver from AMD.

- Pass the --extract argument to the ATI installer so it creates the fglrx-install folder

- Replace the item downloaded from michaellarabel.com with the Fedora folder found in fglrx-install/Fedora/

- Change your working directory to fglrx-install.

- Run ./ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/F7

- If you get a message about entering a patch location, just type firegl_public.c

NOTES:

- Fedora Core is no more... it's technically Fedora 7 and as a result it is --buildpkg Fedora/F7 and not Fedora/FC7.

- Still need to disable Composite in your xorg.conf as it is not supported by the fglrx drivers.

- The Fedora Desktop Effects are not currently supported by the fglrx drivers.

- The updated (F7T1 supportive) packaging scripts may appear with fglrx 8.34 display driver later this month. BUT there are currently 2.6.20 conflicts with 8.34 due to its firegl_public code using the old INIT_WORK and not the two-argument version. (Hopefully I'll have the time to code a patch shortly or that someone else writes a patch)

- With the Fedora Desktop spin it doesn't include any development tools or libraries... the easiest way to fix this is use yum or go to Applications > Add / Remove Software > and then select Development Tools and Development Libraries, etc...

- qt-devel 3.3.7 is needed to build fireglcontrolpanel.

Those are the basic notes at this time. As the final Fedora 7 release nears more information will come about and a more proper guide.

If you have any questions just post. Any testing of the packaging scripts are appreciated.

Some of you interested in Fedora 7 testing, if you're seriously interested in the testing, please private message me about possibly joining the AMD Beta program.
    ------

This is not working for me -- By following your steps above, I enter the fglrx-install directory and run ./ati-install.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/F7 -- the error which occurs is: Generating package: Fedora/F7
    Requested package is not supported.

What do I need to do to get beyond this?

Thanks,

Comment

Ignore my last post -- I just needed to move the tar file contents to packages/Fedora in the fglrx-install directory.

Comment

Michael,

I tried to build the ATI drivers for my 64bit platform. However, I am getting the "dreaded" fireglcontrol not found. Do I need the 32bit qt-3.3.7 libraries to build it? The old trick of linkng the lib to lib64 did not solve this issue as it has previously for me.

Thanks,
        Partha

PS: I am planning on testing the driver on F7T1 and T2 ....

Comment

Try qt-devel 32-bit as well.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Try qt-devel 32-bit as well.
            Same problems here -- get RPM build error regarding fireglccontrol. I've tried with both qt_devel x86_64 and i386 -- must be missing something.

Comment

Did you do both the sym links? Otherwise you could delete the fireglcontrolpanel build from the SPEC and packaging script.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Did you do both the sym links? Otherwise you could delete the fireglcontrolpanel build from the SPEC and packaging script.
                Michael,

Here is the error message I am getting -
                Code:
                ./ati-installer.sh 8.33.6 --buildpkg Fedora/F7
                ==================================================
                 ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager 
                ==================================================
                Generating package: Fedora/F7
                install: cannot stat `fireglcontrolpanel': No such file or directory
                The text leading up to this was:
                --------------------------
                |--- common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c 2006-12-18 10:58:15.000000000 -0500
                |+++ common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c 2006-12-18 11:14:04.000000000 -0500
                --------------------------
                File to patch: firegl_public.c
                Package build failed!
                Package build utility output:
                Building target platforms: x86_64
                Building for target x86_64
                Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.33.6-1-4590-root/tmp/rpm-tmp.1663
                + umask 022
                I did symlink the qt-3.3 (64bit) library and the version.h to version-.h. Is that what you meant?

BTW, given the "new" Fedora model - desktop, etc., - what development libraries did you install?

I groupinstalled X development libraries, development tools and development libraries.

Thanks,
                Partha

Comment

I installed the same X development libraries, development tools, and X development libraries (from the Add/Remove Software just clicking on them). Then I yum'd qt-devel.

With the above output was this after you deleted the fireglcontrolpanel from the script or didn't you do that yet? If you do, be sure to delete the fireglcontrolpanel lines from the SPEC file otherwise it will produce the same error.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I installed the same X development libraries, development tools, and X development libraries (from the Add/Remove Software just clicking on them). Then I yum'd qt-devel.

With the above output was this after you deleted the fireglcontrolpanel from the script or didn't you do that yet? If you do, be sure to delete the fireglcontrolpanel lines from the SPEC file otherwise it will produce the same error.
                    I have not deleted the fireglcontrolpanel from the script. Just so I am clear, which files should I modify? I am guessing - component-config.h and ATI-fglrx-spec-tmpl?

Thanks!
                    Partha

Comment

Working...
                    X