Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Confirms plans to use Linux

This is HUGE!

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

March 28, 2007

Dell to Expand Linux Factory Installed Options
    Since launching Dell IdeaStorm a little more than a month ago, one idea has risen to and stayed at the top: better support for Linux. We have heard you and appreciate the direct feedback.

Dell has heard you and we will expand our Linux support beyond our existing servers and Precision workstation line. Our first step in this effort is offering Linux pre-installed on select desktop and notebook systems. We will provide an update in the coming weeks that includes detailed information on which systems we will offer, our testing and certification efforts, and the Linux distribution(s) that will be available. The countdown begins today.

Yep. Maybe I will get my Santa Rosa 'Centrino Pro' laptop from them then, when that comes out this summer.

Another interesting tidbit is from Micheal Dell's blog:

At least half of the comments effectively said "we want Free Software, GPL-licensed drivers which are maintained in kernel.org, for all hardware in Dell systems." This request is not new to us?it's been our standard operating procedure for the last 8 years on PowerEdge servers, which today have no closed-source drivers necessary.
    Dell recognizes the importance of open source, GPL-licensed drivers which are maintained upstream in kernel.org. They allow users the widest choice of Linux distributions, effectively taking the specific hardware and distribution out of the decision-making process and let you focus on solving your business problems. We will work with our hardware partners to develop, test, and maintain Free drivers, and continue to make progress towards that goal for all drivers. Most drivers are in good shape now, but there's clearly longer-term work to be done. Work that we're doing now at the driver level will pave the way for more Linux offerings in the future. There's no way to please everyone, but I'll continue to share more details around our strategy as we have new developments. Stay tuned.

Hopefully AMD/ATI is listenning. Because now not only you have end users complaining about driver support, but now you have one of the major OEMs publicly stating that they prefer open source drivers.

As it is right now Dell won't sell a Linux box for a server unless the hardware is fully supported by open source drivers. Other commercial companies like Redhat and such won't support closed source drivers either.

There are very good practical and business reasons why this is so. It goes far beyond any sort of 'religious' outlook on software.

Comment

LinuxBIOS

I hope Dell considers adopting LinuxBIOS as well. It will bring great benefits especial to the laptop world.

Comment

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
        I hope Dell considers adopting LinuxBIOS as well. It will bring great benefits especial to the laptop world.
        I do too.. it was suggested in several threads and I cast a vote for it as well..
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
        Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
          Hopefully AMD/ATI is listenning. Because now not only you have end users complaining about driver support, but now you have one of the major OEMs publicly stating that they prefer open source drivers.

As it is right now Dell won't sell a Linux box for a server unless the hardware is fully supported by open source drivers. Other commercial companies like Redhat and such won't support closed source drivers either.

There are very good practical and business reasons why this is so. It goes far beyond any sort of 'religious' outlook on software.
          I do hope they're listening. I've known about the policy on Dell's part for some time (I was going to make some of those very things for them years ago and it fell through at the last moment because the chip supplier got cold feet on them...)- but it's now out in the public eye that this is the case.

And, it's not like I've not been telling QUITE a few vendors this very thing over the last 8+ years doing driver work and whatnot in the industry.

Comment

Working...
          X