Blender 4.1 Benchmarks Confirm Even Faster CPU Render Times Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 4.1 Benchmarks Confirm Even Faster CPU Render Times Under Linux

Phoronix: Blender 4.1 Benchmarks Confirm Even Faster CPU Render Times Under Linux

Blender has long enjoyed faster CPU rendering under Linux compared to using Microsoft Windows. Across many different processors over the years consistently we see faster Linux CPU render performance than under Windows, though that's typically the case for most renderers. With yesterday's release of Blender 4.1, there is even faster Linux CPU render speeds. Here are some initial Blender 4.0 vs. 4.1 benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't see any mention of how much ram the test systems had nor how much ram each test requires.

I know the Thelio system has 128 gb ram, and the performance differences between 4.0 v 4.1 are frankly nothing to get excited about, I wonder if this "benefit" is more applicable to low ram systems?

Comment

Michael there seems to be some rendering bug in the PTS in this article where the labels 4.0 is too close to the 4.1 label.

Comment

Thank you for the benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          I don't see any mention of how much ram the test systems had nor how much ram each test requires.

I know the Thelio system has 128 gb ram, and the performance differences between 4.0 v 4.1 are frankly nothing to get excited about, I wonder if this "benefit" is more applicable to low ram systems?
          So, believe it or not, it won't have much to do with the amount of Ram per se, rather it will be affected by the CPU you are on, and by the images and objects in the fill.

Here is a nice write up on how the nitty gritty details work.

Paul Khuong's personal blog. Some Lisp, some optimisation, mathematical or computer.

Different processors inplement different strategies and number of entries, and Skylake, for instance, has a separate area for dealing with 1GB pages, so that may be optimized for it, of even worse.

It looks like Blender is using the 2MB version of Huge Pages, which makes sense for optimizing for image lookups, but I wonder what switching to 1GB pages will do.

On Windows, you have to go through some hoops to get it to work, so Blender not wanting to deal with that is understandable.

Comment

Where's birdie ?

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
              Where's birdie ?
              He got banned again.

Comment

If you have pen, you could do something with it. And if you are in cold space, then you could do also something with it.

Comment

Judging by the graphs the differences don't seem to be spectacular, but they are very consistent. Good developments

Comment

There is a difference? I need to squint more then.

Comment

Working...
                    X