Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Bindings Posted For KMS Drivers, VKMS Ported To Rust

Phoronix: Rust Bindings Posted For KMS Drivers, VKMS Ported To Rust

So far when it comes to Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) / Kernel Mode-Setting (KMS) display drivers for Linux, there are Rust efforts underway for the Apple Silicon kernel graphics driver with the Asahi Linux project as well as the new Nova effort for a modern open-source NVIDIA kernel driver from Red Hat. Also now out from Red Hat is posting the Rust bindings for KMS to review plus porting the existing Virtual KMS driver over to Rust as the "RVKMS" driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only thing I find cringe about Rust is that the book I am reading to learn Rust calls Rust developers "Rustaceans". In any case, the Rust language seem to go to places (good to learn) and another tool in the toolbox to solve problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      The only thing I find cringe about Rust is that the book I am reading to learn Rust calls Rust developers "Rustaceans".
      I don't know why you find it cringe, but hey, we are all different. Rust has its own problems with the language or eco system, such topics as Async and GUI. But the worst part of Rust is the Rust Foundation. I'm glad Rust language exists and it is probably my favorite language. I wouldn't mind a Rust like language, but with Garbage Collection instead and an integrated Async runtime that is as easy to use as in Go. That would be probably my goto language for almost anything.

Comment

The only thing I find cringe about Rust is that the book I am reading to learn Rust calls Rust developers "Rustaceans". In any case, the Rust language seem to go to places (good to learn) and another tool in the toolbox to solve problems...
        We should call C++ developers crusaders (C++rusaders ?). They will lead holy crusade against filthy "Rustaceans"
        41AWWvEyezL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

I don't know why you find it cringe, but hey, we are all different. Rust has its own problems with the language or eco system, such topics as Async and GUI. But the worst part of Rust is the Rust Foundation. I'm glad Rust language exists and it is probably my favorite language. I wouldn't mind a Rust like language, but with Garbage Collection instead and an integrated Async runtime that is as easy to use as in Go. That would be probably my goto language for almost anything.
          so Rust only in the syntax....what would the point be?

Rust follows two main principles: (1) zero cost abstractions, (2) low complexity of language constructs and mechanisms

garbage collection is a false solution to the problem of safety and robustness, because garbage collectors are huge pieces of code that do mad things....Microsoft demonstrated, with their Singularity operating system, that garbage collection isn't the solution....their OS based on X# was safe in theory, but had mountains of bugs in the garbage collector

so you are just moving bugs from one point to another! Rust's bet is that you can restrict the programming model to the point that the compiler can reason on the state of your program at any point in time, thus it can see bugs ( at least certain classes of bugs ) just by "reading" the code

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
            Rust follows two main principles: (1) zero cost abstractions, (2) low complexity of language constructs and mechanisms

garbage collection is a false solution to the problem of safety and robustness....
            This!

And an async runtime is a much better candidate for a crate/module/library rather than baked into the core language. Rust is about to become the new systems language scaling from small micro-controllers, Linux kernel programming to complex user applications. There is no single async runtime, that will fit all these use cases.

If you want Go instead, please continue to use Go.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

Wait, why would you want to make the language worse with a GC and limit its usefulness?

Comment

brooooooooooooooo don't get me started on the rust repos, Blazing fast :rocket: :crab: :crab: :rocket: :crab: :star: :star: Super safe :crab: :crab: :star: :star: etc. I have no idea why on earth it happened but rust has one of the cringiest development communities i've ever seen. And i've seen react devs xD

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

brooooooooooooooo don't get me started on the rust repos, Blazing fast :rocket: :crab: :crab: :rocket: :crab: :star: :star: Super safe :crab: :crab: :star: :star: etc. I have no idea why on earth it happened but rust has one of the cringiest development communities i've ever seen. And i've seen react devs xD

SO TRUE! Couldn't agree MORE! My favorite cringiest language. That makes rust even sweeter (IMO).

Comment

I don't use Rust to write operating systems. And whats worse for someone, might be better for someone else on certain use cases. That's why we have different languages. That's why I wish there was a language that is Rust, with the proposed changes. I'm not suggesting to change Rust itself. You don't like my idea? Then don't use it. At the moment there is no language that fills the gap I wish would. Go is not even a consideration, it's the pole opposite.
                    Last edited by byteabit; 23 March 2024, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X